Thursday, January 02, 2003

Re-employed

I just typed out three plus paragraphs explaining that I start work again on Monday and that I decided not to move back to my old house, and I was typing so hard because I'm so keyed up that I hit a wrong button by mistake and wiped out my whole post (which, of course, I'd not yet saved). I'm not going to re-type it all because it was very cathectic writing, and the energy is mostly dissipated now. To summarize, I'll be working part-time for the same company, different subsidiary, same colleagues. Oh, and I decided not to quit my Ph.D. program at this point in time, which is why I chose to work part-time rather than a full-time. And then that led to Kierkegaard's questions:
[W]hat kind of life do you live, do you will only one thing, and what is this one thing? (p. 182)
And, further,
whether you really live in such a way that you are capable of answering that question, in such a way that the question truthfully exists for you. Because in order to be able earnestly to answer that serious question, a [person] must already have made a choice in life, [she] must have chosen the invisible, chosen that which is within. [She] must have lived so that [she] has hours and times in which [she] collects [her] mind, so that [her] life can win the transparency that is a condition for being able to put the question to [herself] and for being able to answer it....To put such a question to the [person] that is so busy in [her] earthly work, and outside of this in joining the crowd in its noisemaking, would be folly...(pp. 183-84).
And that's only a sliver of K's relentlessness.

Finally, a reminder to myself now that I'll be receiving a paycheck again, from a family who deliberately chose to "live more with less" so they'd have more to give away:
It actually felt liberating—we were free from the spending patterns dictated by the availability of money (p. 55).
From "Nonconform Freely" in Living More With Less by Doris Janzen Longacre.

No comments: