Sunday, April 21, 2002

Study break

Yesterday afternoon, as a reward for a productive morning, I went to the Huntington to see an exhibition, Great British Paintings from American Collections: Holbein to Hockney. The paintings were hung at direct eye level, and because there wasn't an overwhelming number, you could linger in front of each one and still take in the entire collection without feeling rushed.

Susie had reminded me of the Pre-Raphaelites, who were amongst the painters in the exhibition, in two posts earlier this month: a painting of Mariana by John Everett Millais and one of The Lady of Shalott by John William Waterhouse.

When I was in London in 1984, I went to a Pre-Raphaelite exhibition at the Royal Academy knowing nothing about art (which is still the case). I bought a poster of a young girl in a harem holding a falcon. I've since lost the poster, don't know the painter or title of the painting, and haven't yet tracked down the image on the internet. When I find it, I'll post it here.

After viewing the paintings, I strolled through the Rose Garden. Many roses are in bloom, but there are still tons of buds, so I'll have to go back soon. After all, that's what annual memberships are all about—visiting as often as possible.

No comments: