Monday, February 24, 2003

Um-pa-pa, um-pa-pa

The is the second post in a row I've inadvertently deleted after I finished writing it but before I posted it—and, therefore, saved it. So you are going to get the abbreviated version of my accordion purchase story: I found a used Bell accordion on sale for 50% off at the Salvation Army store. It was in quite good condition, so I bought it. Then I located an old man who works out of his garage in Hacienda Heights restoring accordions. He put on new straps for me and cleaned the reeds inside. He confirmed the accordion is in good condition. He also said it is a good size for me; it has the full keyboard (41 keys) and bass (120 buttons) but it is not as big (or heavy) as some accordions are.

Now my project is to learn to play it better. I taught myself the basics when I was younger by sitting in front of the full-length mirror in my parents' bedroom with my mother's accordion and figuring out how the buttons worked.

P.S. I just got back from the Path to Freedom home, where I bought salad mix and broccoli. I've already made a salad for lunch and can't wait to eat it!

No comments: