Sunday, March 02, 2003

Perfectly splendid day

Today was beautiful beyond description. In the 70s. Not even one cloud in the sky. The most deepbrilliantblue you've ever seen. And it was Transfiguration Sunday, the last Sunday in Epiphany, before Lent begins on Ash Wednesday. We sang Alleluia for the last time until Easter.

Therefore, the theme was Light, brilliant Light. We sang "In Thee is Gladness" (In dir ist Freude):
In thee is gladness Amid the sadness,
Jesus, sunshine of my heart.
By thee are given The gifts of heaven,
Thou the true redeemer art.
Our souls thou wakest; Our bonds thou breakest.
Who trusts thee surely Has built securely
And stands for ever: Alleluia!
Our hearts are pining To see thy shining,
Dying or living, To thee are cleaving;
Naught us can sever: Alleluia!

If he is ours, We fear no powers,
Not of earth or sin or death.
He see and blesses In worst distresses;
He can change them with a breath.
Wherefore the story Tell of his glory
With heart and voices; All heaven rejoices
In him forever: Alleluia!
We shout for gladness, Triumph o'er sadness,
Love him and praise him And still shall raise him
Glad hymns forever: Alleluia!

By Johann Lindemann, tr. Catherine Winkworth.

After being in a church for five hours this morning, albeit with the stained glass windows glowing in the sun's light, I had to be outside. So I headed over to Eaton Canyon intending to meander along the stream and maybe do a little journaling. But I was beckoned by a sign, Walnut Canyon, so I started to climb, and climb, and climb. I'm embarrassed to admit I've never explored the hiking trails too far. I've always enjoyed just hanging out by the stream sitting on a rock under a tree. Or even climbing a tree sometimes. But today I headed up. [I realized, reading over this, that climbing a mountain fits with today's gospel reading. Jesus' transfiguration took place on a mountain.]

It was incredible hiking weather with panoramic views, truly a mar vista once I climbed up high enough. I'd only brought a small container of water and a couple of tangerines, plus some almonds and raisins. Because I didn't know where the trail ended, or if there was water along the way, I turned around at the 2 mile point. When I got home I checked my copy of Trails of the Angeles: 100 Hikes in the San Gabriels. Another half-mile and I'd have reached Henninger Flats—and water. So, next time!

Energized from hiking, I came home and made lentil soup for supper. Yum!

No comments: