Thursday, January 01, 2004

The eighth day of Christmas

"And at the end of eight days, when he was circumcised, he was called Jesus, the name given by the angel before he was conceived in the womb. . . . 'And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus.'" (Luke 2:21; 1:31)

So today is the festival of The Name of Jesus. I am celebrating by listening to a Chanticleer Christmas CD. The Lutheran Sundays and Seasons 2004 liturgy book reminds me that "Jesus' name[ ] is a gift to us and marks us as children of God. Baptized into Christ, we begin the new year in Jesus' name."

On this eighth day of Christmas, I am also cleaning my house. I started in the bedroom, then moved to the kitchen. I was inspired by how peaceful and tidy my parents' house was.

I cooked half a butternut squash, also inspired by my mother. I had asked for a chef's knife for Christmas so I could cut up squash more easily being that I don't have a chopping block and ax, my mother's method. It only takes five minutes cooking time in the pressure cooker. My mother steams squash on the wood stove in the kitchen that was stoked the entire time I was at their house. There is no heat like wood heat and being able to back up to a hot stove to keep warm!

No comments: