Monday, December 24, 2001

Last night it must have been very windy because this morning the roads are littered with dried palm fronds and little black berries from the palm trees. The sky is deep blue with no clouds. It will probably be in the 60s again today. Perfect weather.

I went to the grocery store to buy ingredients for two salads I'm making for dinner tonight. Apart from making the salads, I'm not sure what else I'm going to do today. I deep cleaned the entire house on Saturday morning because the landlord and an appraiser were coming to look at the duplex at noon. Maybe I should study. Hmmm.

Well, yesterday I went to see Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. What a satisfying three hour escape into the world of Middle Earth! My friend, who'd not read the books, enjoyed it, too. I want to write something profound about how imaginative literature and good movies provide an escape, not an escape from reality, per se, but an escape in the sense of a prisoner escaping (to use an analogy I heard in a documentary about J. R. R. Tolkien). But my thoughts are not very deep or well-formed, so I'll leave it at that. I finished reading the first book last night and think I will soon start The Two Towers.

No comments: