Friday, May 17, 2002

Notes of the week

Today I went out to school to take care of some paperwork. I was hoping the computer lab director would be there, but he is on vacation. I need to figure out how to get some fonts on the lab computers so I can print a manuscript for a professor. I was going to do a few other things, but when I went out to my car, I noticed it was leaking coolant. So I called a friend who lives in town, and she recommended a mechanic. I didn't want to drive all the way home to my mechanic with coolant leaking.

It ended up it was leaking from the heater core. I didn't have time for them to change the heater, so they bypassed the heater. Since summer is approaching, I don't need a heater, so I'm in no rush to have the bigger job done.

I got home just in time to round up my cats and get them in the carrier to go to the vet for their annual shots. The little cat protested vigorously. She did not want to get into the carrier. The vet told me to hold her by the scruff of her neck and put her in rear first rather than head first. So I'll try that next time (hopefully not for another year). Leo has to go in again to get his teeth cleaned, but he doesn't fight so hard.

So it was a stressful day.

Work has been pretty busy. On Tuesday night three of us took some business partners out for dinner. It was really fun, and the food was excellent. I don't dine like that in private life, but it's fun to do it occasionally for work--cocktails; appetizers; dinner; wine; desserts; and dessert drinks. Wednesday we met all day with the business partners and planned for the upcoming months.

Switching back and forth between corporate life and academic life can be dislocating, and, frankly, corporate life often wins out. I'm trying to figure out how to scale back so I don't have to depend so much on my job, but haven't quite figured it out yet. Anybody know of a cheap place to live that allows cats in the Pasadena-Claremont area?

I've been following the Crusader story with some interest. Last night the NewsHour had a short segment on the story.

No comments: