Sunday, July 20, 2003

Knitting for a cause

I just came across a relief project via getcrafty called afghans for Afghans. One of the current campaigns is to send a shipment of wool mittens, hats, sweaters, socks, and vests to children in Afghanistan. The due date for this "Campaign to Clothe 5,000 Afghan Children in Time for the Winter" is August 1. That's soon, but it wouldn't take long to knit or crochet some little mittens or socks, and there are some simple patterns listed on the page.

I've been having fun with another project the women at my church are working on, gathering items to assemble layettes that are distributed to newborns in refugee camps and hospitals by Lutheran World Relief. I've made some good finds (good quality items at a low price) at the Salvation Army store and a nearby children's consignment store. We've had the most trouble tracking down diaper pins. I guess even people who use cloth diapers these days don't use diaper pins but wraps.

No comments: