Wednesday, July 30, 2003

Praying online

Via going jesus: the Episcopal Daily Office liturgies. The familiar words of Compline reminded me of the occasions I attended the beautiful Compline service at St Mark's Cathedral in Seattle on Sunday nights. The lights would be dimmed and people would come as they were and sit anywhere, including on the floor. (For a city with one of the lower rates of church attendance in the country, Compline drew an interesting crowd.) If I didn't attend in person, I often would lie in bed and listen to the live radio broadcast of the half-hour liturgy sung by the Compline Choir.
Guide us waking, O Lord, and guard us sleeping; that awake we may watch with Christ, and asleep we may rest in peace.
From the Song of Simeon.

(This online version of Compline doesn't have the verse from 1 Peter 5:8—"Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour." I'm sure I remember the calm, deep voice of Peter Hallock quoting that verse.)

No comments: