Friday, February 27, 2004

Knitting blessings

A year ago I posted an entry about knitting and praying. The current The Lutheran magazine writes about knitting again, this time publishing reviews by Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat of two knitting books, Knitting into the Mystery: A Guide to the Shawl-Knitting Ministry and KnitLit (Too): Stories from Sheep to Shawl...and More Writing About Knitting.

In a slightly longer version of the Knitting into the Mystery review, more of the "Prayer of Blessing," by Cathleen Murtha, is excerpted from the book:
"A blessing to my mind [...] to be free to enter this time of contemplative activity . . .
A blessing to my hands [...] to be the source of creating something of beauty and love . . .
A blessing to my soul [...] to be open to the promptings of prayer and reflection . . .
A blessing to my yarn [...] to be shaped into patterns of love and caring . . .
A blessing to my needles [...] to be the holders of stitches as they become a whole garment . . .
A blessing to my knitting [...] to be a work of heart and hands, body and spirit . . .
A blessing on the one who passed this ancient art to me . . .
A blessing on the one who will receive the fruit of my prayer and my knitting . . .
May this [garment] be welcomed in the spirit in which it was knit . . .
May we become one with the One who knitted each of us in our mother's womb. [....]
Amen."

No comments: