Saturday, September 01, 2001

I went to the Farmers' Market this morning, a favorite Saturday morning ritual. I try to get there by 8:30, before it gets too crowded. It's a great place to peoplewatch and just savor being outdoors on a glorious summer morn. Sadly, the market had to ban pets, probably because someone got bitten. But it used to be that people would bring their dogs on leashes, which added to the friendly chaos of strollers, children's wagons co-opted as fruit and vegetable transport, wheeled shopping baskets, even luggage on wheels.

I bought white nectarines (for my newly discovered smoothie recipe from the LA Times. I use vanilla yogurt instead of plain yogurt and honey.); 20 lbs of incredibly sweet oranges for $3.50; a Persian melon; lots of vegetables for vegetable and chicken stocks; Asian pears, a delicious cross between an apple and a pear; and a cabbage. I am a great fan of cabbages because, along with carrots, they last forever in the fridge. Years ago, I got a recipe from an aunt for a cabbage and carrot salad with top ramen noodles and almonds that gets rave reviews whenever I serve it. Cabbage cooked with onions, tomatoes, and black pepper reminds me of growing up in Zambia, where, at certain times of the year, it was served almost daily.

No comments: