Wednesday, November 21, 2001

Some day I'll be as organized as Susie and have a whole section for my recipes, but for now I'll record my cranberry sauce recipe. It's a combination of two recipes from the LA Times Food section and from a cookbook on permanent loan from my mother, A Continual Feast: A Cookbook to Celebrate the Joys of Family and Faith Throughout the Christian Year by Evelyn Birge Vitz.

Cranberry-Orange Sauce
Make 1-3 days in advance for best flavor

1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cups sugar (I use less)
3 whole cloves
3 allspice berries
2 cinnamon sticks
1 bag (12 oz) or 3 cups cranberries
1 orange, peeled, seeded, chopped
Grated rind of one orange

Bring sugar, water, cloves, allspice and cinnamon sticks to boil in 4-quart saucepan. Cook, stirring, until syrup is clear, about 3 minutes. Add cranberries and cook just until they begin to pop, about 5 minutes.

Remove from heat and cool. Add chopped oranges and grated orange rind. Refrigerate 1 to 3 days before serving. Remove cloves, allspice and cinnamon sticks before serving.

Now I'll go and make the recipe. I forgot I'm suppposed to make it a few days in advance....

No comments: